Thursday, May 10, 2007

Generation Gap expands

About 2 years ago or something I read Growth Fetish and then I gave it to my mother to read. Predictably she never got around to reading it and my brother eventually did and then I took it back. Now it sits on my shelf as always.
Then about a year later I read the follow up Affluenza. It was pretty good aswell. Both books were highly critical of marketing (something I have a degree in) and particularly the unnecessary "stuff" we feel compelled to buy in order to feel successful.
Then for someone my age having to watch TV commercials by commonwealth saying 'retirement is your revenge' and those adds that should be illegal they are that bad the 'understanding over 50s' I tell you if I was over 50 and saw that add I would just go out and hang myself tomorrow.
Anyway maybe it's me going through a teenage-girl-turns-vegetarian-to-the-disgust-of-her-family type phase but I think the cracks between generations are starting to appear.
I mean I always though my folks were pretty 'with-it' well maybe not mum but dad enjoyed RATM, Soundgarden and other Grunge bands. They've always been pretty laid back and swore casually. Yes they occasionally tucked tshirts into jeans but otherwise were doing good.
But their general attitude is starting to seem really dated, it seems to be the paradox of Australia dated thinking is the way of the future.
Anyway I walk out the other night and my dad's cooking snags on a Beef-Eater BBQ. These things are a couple of grand and are usually marketed as the 'Outdoor Entertainment Area' or 'Outdoor Kitchen' which is to say excessive.
I guess I was wholeheartedly dissapointed to discover said purchase decision, this being capped off by 'it's the lifestyle we want.'
it made a bunch of purchase decisions my parents hade made in the past couple of years click into place.
My parents are deluded.
The fundamental 'truth and lie' that makes our world spin.

truth = if you are naked, in the rain on a cold night having not eaten for days and somebody gives you shelter, warmth and food you go from being sad to happy.

lie = if you double the amount of shelter, food and warmth you have you go from being happy to double happy.

My parents have thrown down and for all their brilliance and achievement in life are going for the 'who dies with the most toys' end game.
I wish when they were setting these lifestyle goals they looked into the mirror and saw that they aren't extravegantly wealthy millionaires.
Just like when I look in the mirror and see a 6'7" african american NBA star looking back at me.

No comments: